Local churches in Waxahachie, TX (that is a real place, and a beautiful little town) put on a live Nativity and build a small version of Bethlehem every November-December. We were so lucky to hear about it before it's last weekend (shout out to Kristi, again!) and we drove the hour + a little drive (blankets, pillows, snacks, and Manheim Christmas CD) to this little Texas hamlet that lies southeast of Dallas (and Fort Worth). It was such a TREAT!
Here is Mary and Joseph on a donkey walking to Bethlehem:
Below is the Tax Collector where they stopped to pay sheckels.
Maddie talked to ALL the shop-keepers and others. She told this man she came to pay her taxes.
He asked her, "What is your occupation?"
She was stumped...I whispered in her ear and she told him, "Seamstress."
He: "How much are your annual earnings?"
She: "8,000 sheckels" (wow!)
He, surprised, "You are a very fortunate seamstress with much work."
She: "Yes."
He, getting out his miniature abacus and figuring out what she owed, "Your taxes will be 80 sheckels."
She: "Oh (crestfallen), I don't have that many sheckels..."
All the Bethlehem "locals" told us "Shalom" as we came and went. I was brushing up a little Hebrew learned in 1988 when I was there, but apparently no one there knew the greeting for "How are you?" which I can say quite well, if you ask me, but I cannot spell it. :)
We are so thrilled to have an authentic, Christ-focused Christmas tradition!! We will go to this every year. We arrived late and missed the town's outdoor ice skating, shops, bon fires, etc. and we hope to combine that with this journey to Bethlehem next year, along with dinner at one of the very quaint restaurants in the old town.
I have to mention the gorgeous homes, surrounded by wrap-around porches and large windows full of wreaths and beautiful Christmas lights. Trees, tall and old, lined the streets and freeway leading into town. IT WAS SO FESTIVE!! AND NEW-ENGLAND-LIKE. It reminded me of New England in such a HUGE way that I was hinting that I might love living there... hee hee

1 comment:
Wow. That looks completely amazing.
Post a Comment